Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Mile High Blog: NYC Bound

Well this is definitely a first...

At this very moment, I am at a comfortable cruising altitude of 36,000 feet and am seated next to the window, where I've enjoyed a nice view of our swift departure from solid ground below.  Yes, that's right friends... I am sky high. 

What an interesting way to write!!!!

It has been a very long day, full of excitement and very mixed emotions.  I have come to a conclusion that airport farewells are probably one of the closest things to slow emotional torture around.  Seriously...

It has been a crazy journey that has brought me to this moment; to this airplane.  And talk about a delayed reaction!!! Oh my gosh!!

I woke up bright and early this morning and thought, "Oh SHIT, today I leave for New York City!!" And as you can well imagine, I couldn't fall back to sleep.

I got up and began my normal routine, knowing all too well that there wasn't really anything normal about this day in the least.  And as my brother and my parents all gathered around me for a sweet hug and short prayer, I couldn't help but realize that this was unlike any other "trip" I've ever taken.

It was as if I was seeing some look in their eyes that I hadn't really noticed for the past six months; it was a look that said, "We've lost her... to vortex that is Manhattan."

I tried to keep things very loose.  I tried to make light of the situation. But then it hit me like a ton of bricks as I stepped through the gate to the other side and wondered; could they be right?

Our eyes stung from fighting back the tears.  My heart began to race.  And I think we all agree that life (as I've known it) won't ever really be the same.

And then the texts and phone calls began...

And not one person said, "Have a good trip." No, no... every single person CONGRATULATED me on MY MOVE!!!! Hahaha...

And here I thought I had convinced everyone that this was sort of a fun "staycation."  You know, the kind of trip you go on where you get a little part time job to cover the costs of all those fun touristy attractions?!?! Yeah, well apparently the general consensus amongst my loved ones is that I was meant for New York, or maybe the other way around.

It took this second plane ride, and final leg of my journey today, to realize what a brave thing this is that I'm doing.  And I feel... a bit in shock, but overall quite happy.

Tomorrow I begin the process of the epic job search.  And of course, if you've been one of my trusty readers or are just plain genius enough to decipher the play on words that is the title of my blog, well then you know by now that I tend bar as a way to "Serve the Dream."  So, if you can imagine this, I actually have a job interview scheduled tomorrow afternoon in SOHO, less that 24 hours after arrival.  How is that for moving in a New York Minute?? 

I guess I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on this day that has proven to be somewhat ceremonious.  I want to thank my close friends, my family and the numerous random strangers who've encouraged me to chase my dreams and to jump in the deep end.  I swear, it has been the driving force behind my decision to take this leap and for that, as well as many other things, I'm certainly most grateful.

As for this entry, I am on a time crunch!!! Because very shortly it will be time to "power down all electronic devices" and that means that they will cut off my Wifi connection.

It's almost time to land... literally and figuratively of course!

Today:

Airplane Overpriced Cocktail 

7&7
1oz   Seagrams 7
Splash of 7 Up








No comments:

Post a Comment