Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cover Me

For the past six weeks, for whatever reason, Tuesdays have continuously (for lack of better phrasing) sucked.  Similar to a cartoon character who is tormented by the single rain cloud in an otherwise sunny sky; so too, have Tuesdays overshadowed me.

At first, I thought it was just a random bad day at work and I didn't think too much of it. I figured, we all have them, so why should I be any different?  It was so cold outside that day. I shivered in the outdoor bar as the wind howled and whipped around me.  To add insult to injury, there were hardly any customers outside, but just enough to keep me there: all-night-long.

The following week, on yet another tainted Tuesday, I received a notice that my bank card information had been stolen and someone was running around, having a GREAT start to the week, at my expense. Literally.

It had become quite clear that Tuesdays were a total bust.  Cold, rainy weather plagued the bar and yet somehow, I would stay out there all night.  Shivering and annoyed, I would stare out to the distant shores and wonder... What am I doing here??

Over the weekend, while behind the bar on a pleasantly steady Saturday night, I had an epiphany.  Why not just have someone cover for me this Tuesday?  See, that is one of the highlights of working in a restaurant.  We often have to remind ourselves of the few perks and for me, having the flexibility to just give away a certain shift if I choose to or if I need to, is a huge advantage.

I'm not sure how many other occupations are afforded such flexibility.  And any time I struggle with a sudden flare up of loser syndrome, I try to remind myself as to why this is a good situation for me and that I chose this lifestyle. This job may not be the most glamorous one, but it pays the bills and affords flexibility; which are the two most challenging aspects of pursuing a career in the arts.

But today, I am simply hoping to break the bad luck streak.  Perhaps the person who is covering for me will have a great night behind the bar and who knows, I might even feel a little sad that I missed out.

I think that it is important to take the reins when life seems to be taking you for a wild ride, and not the other way around. Tuesdays have been a bit of a mental test for me. They have been the one day in my workweek that I have truly come to despise.  Fortunately, I've got it covered.

By taking myself out of that situation today, I am hoping to turn my luck around for the Tuesdays of tomorrow.  Sometimes you just have to interrupt the negative patterns.  So that is exactly what I have decided to do.

Today, I've decided to enjoy this glorious Tuesday away from the bar.  And although I can see that pesky storm cloud outside waiting for me, I'm going to go out and dance in the rain regardless.

Why not? Break the cycle.  If you want something to change, it is up to you to change it. Who knows?  It may turn out to be a beautiful day.


***


(Or... it could still suck, but I at least I know I tried!!! Either way, I've got it covered!!) 


Today:

Sex on the Beach

1 oz Vodka
1 oz Peach Schnapps
Equal parts Orange Juice and Cranberry
Served over ice









1 comment:

  1. What a great idea & way to try to counter attack those tormenting Tuesdays. Ha! You'll have to keep us informed of how next Tuesday goes. Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete