Sunday, August 18, 2013

Seizing Sunday: Rx Trading Spaces & Places

You know that feeling; when you just don't give a rat's ass?  When the cares of the workaday worries melt away into the furthest corners of your mind... until they disappear completely.  Are you with me so far?  Okay good...  

Well let's just say that when I woke up this morning, I hadn't quite surrendered to Sunday.  In fact, the rat's ass was front and center in my mind's eye.  Similar to the way smoke from a campfire has the bizarre super strength of permeating into your skin for days on end, so too had the remnants of a few stressful days behind the bar penetrated every pore and every molecule of my being.  I woke up exhausted and tense.  So tense in fact, I actually threw my neck out and have been unable to enjoy full range of motion as a result.  

The feeling is similar to that of being hungover... except you didn't get to experience the fun part preceding the impending headache.  So perhaps that is a poor example.  Okay, the feeling is more like a mental ass-kicking and the headache is the proof that you just barely made it out alive.  Yes, I do believe that adequately surmises the week I had. 

I woke up and almost instantly thought of all the things I had yet to do today.  I need to make that phone call.  I have to catch up on some laundry.  I am so hungry.  When am I going to have the time to sit down and write today?? The documentary screening is at 7:30 tonight, which gives me 7.5 hours to accomplish x,y and z...  Shower, coffee, phone calls, schedule some meetings... sit down and write. I need to write, to write, to write... Sigh...

STOP.  Seriously.  Just stop!  It took about an hour and approximately two and a half cups of coffee to snap out of the oncoming anxiety attack that was in full swing.  As if I was about to give myself my own mixed martial arts mental ass kicking on what should be a very restful and relaxing day off. 

After a long exhale, I decided to prioritize my 'Sunday Funday.'  And I decided that a long overdue phone call to my best friend took precedence over everything else: writing included.  

I have become quite regimented in my daily writing exercises; right down to the minute I begin and end.  And to a certain extent, this process requires a certain commitment level and discipline.  

But on the other hand, I've also realized how critical it is to practice what I preach.  

If I get so caught up in the To Do's of the day, I might deprive myself the joy of allowing life and creativity to flow freely from within.  The beauty of the writing process is how relaxing it is to get lost in the story, the words, the thoughts, the moment.   

So today, much like hitting the snooze button and sleeping in, I hit the snooze button on my To Do List...

And I am so glad I did.  At this moment (a few hours past my normal blogging schedule), I sit here with my laptop and my second mimosa: writing, sipping, thinking and smiling. 

Talk about killing two bird's with one stone!  

For most of the week, I stand behind the bar: serving, pouring and mixing.  Today, with gratitude, I have traded places with the bartender and sit happily on the opposite side.  It's a perspective that I need to indulge in, at least once in a while.  

If it's five o'clock somewhere, then honey, I'm there... And my worries? Well at this moment I just don't give a rat's ass. And if only for this one day a week, I have seized Sunday and followed my very own prescription for fun: trading places.  

Next stop... the beach.  The laundry list will have to just wait. 


Today: 

Top Shelf Mimosa

3/4 Glass of Champagne
Splash of St. Germaine Liqueur 
Splash of Orange and Pineapple Juices













No comments:

Post a Comment