Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Now You See Me... Now You Don't

Sometimes it is so hard to look beyond the face a person wears at their job. I am sure people look at me all the time and make a number of assumptions.  Guests are often surprised when they discover that I graduated from college seven years ago. 

Then come a slew of questions. "Where are you from?" "Did you grow up here?" "What do you really want to be doing with you life?" I don't mind the questions. Honestly, it is much more refreshing to me to have someone try to see me as I actually am... rather than just the neighborhood bartender. 

Everywhere you look, there is a story.  There are all kinds of people in this world and we all have something to say (even if it's not what you'd expect or necessarily want to hear). 

Yesterday, I was thoroughly enjoying my day off.  I went with my mom to get a manicure and pedicure at little nail salon in town.  The place was packed.  I went to go choose my color and then settle into the oversized massage chair.  I messed around with about a dozen back massaging settings before I slipped my feet into the hot water.  It was bliss. 

About twenty minutes into the pedicure I really began to pay attention to my manicurist. She was methodical in her technique and treated every single toe as one whole being.  She trimmed, filed, buffed, massaged and painted with the precision of a skilled surgeon. It was amazing. 

Well guess what? I was so impressed by her that I became curious about this young lady.  And the conversation began.  I was completely blown away by her.  

I discovered that she had recently graduated from U.C. Davis with a degree in Neurobiology.  I mean, come on, that is super impressive. I found out that not only was this the best manicure I had had in a long time, but that my manicurist was also pre-med.  

I can't even begin to describe how inspired I was by her.  She is serving her time to serve her dream as well. 

The experience reminded me how important it is to look beyond a persons' current set of circumstances.   And I should also say that it was her skill  in the role she is presently in that made me take a closer look.  I was already impressed by her before I knew she was pre-med.   

I hope that I will be friends with her. We exchanged our contact information and we made some plans to get together when I am living in New York.    

It just goes to show you how amazing and unexpected life is.  Take a closer look at those around you.  Because your manicurist today, could save your life tomorrow. 

Today:

Hurricane

1/2 oz Lt. Rum
1/2 oz Dark Rum
1/2 oz Maui Tropical Schnapps Or substitute Malibu Rum
1/2 oz Grenadine
3 oz Sour Mix
1/4 oz 151 Rum float on top

Shake and strain













No comments:

Post a Comment