Monday, July 29, 2013

Under the Influence

As a bartender, it is part of my job description to be able to determine when a person is near the point of intoxication.  It's a bit of a fine line and you have to take into account a variety of factors.  Height, weight, and gender all play important factors to how long it will take for alcohol to pass through the blood stream.  This aspect of my job can be... tricky.

While you definitely want your guests to enjoy themselves and let loose a bit, you also have to keep their safety and best interests in mind.  The choices a person makes while under the influence can directly impact the course of their lives.  The decision to cut someone off is not one that I have ever delighted in or taken lightly.

For the past few days, I have been on a little weekend getaway with my family.  My two nieces are still young and are drinking up every ounce of what we as adults, say and do.  They are very much, under the influence.  That realization has struck me on many levels and it is also something I do not take lightly.

And I wondered yesterday if the same rules apply when determining if a person is under the influence.  What has occurred to me, as I have studied my entire family as well as my nieces, is that we all fall under the influence of others from time to time.  While that is a huge responsibility, it can also be a truly wonderful experiment.

But it's a tricky thing too... depending on who is influencing you.

Yesterday I wrote a list; a prescription for FUN.  Before I knew it, I looked around and saw my dad and brother flying a kite, my nieces were playing fetch with my dogs and my mom had snuck away to steal a little time for herself and everyone had a sudden hankering for a Bloody Mary.  Everything I added to the list yesterday, we were checking off and enjoying. 

I felt the warming effects of falling under the influence. We all felt it.  I suppose age, weight, gender and height aren't as relevant when determining if a person can fall under the influence... of others.  It is a big responsibility; when you realize how much you can affect another persons' choices and perspectives... and furthermore, how much others' can influence you.

Who knows what you might teach someone; young or old.  Who knows what you might also learn.

Today:

Island Kite

1 oz Watermelon Vodka
1 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Midori
Splash of lemonade 
Shake and strain into a martini glass.
Let grenadine sink to the bottom of glass. 


Bloody Mary made from scratch.

Flying a kite.







No comments:

Post a Comment